RE: Don't say what you CANNOT do in documents

Subject: RE: Don't say what you CANNOT do in documents
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 20 Apr 2004 16:36:15 GMT

A bit of advice that I often give my staff is never tell
people you can't do something they want, but rather tell
them what they need to do to make it possible for you
to do it, because if they hear "can't do that" coming
out of your mouth often enough, that'll become their
impression of you. Your PM may be thinking about
the product the same way. Since you go on to describe
the process for creating a query with multiple criteria
(I'm guessing, is what you really mean that you can't
create a query with multiple criteria within a single
activity?), there is obviously a way to do it, so your
instructions should describe the correct procedure to
accomplish what the user wants to do rather than making
the user read about ways it can't be done.

OTOH, if you're talking about a situation where there
really is *no* way to accomplish something, then "that
function is not supported in this release" or something
similar is probably unavoidable.

Gene Kim-Eng