Re: RE: Don't say what you CANNOT do in documents

Subject: Re: RE: Don't say what you CANNOT do in documents
From: Susan W. Gallagher <sgallagher5 -at- cox -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:01:12 -0400

John,

While I don't have any reservations about saying "you cannot..."
in documentation, I generally reserve it for times when it
is truely impossible to perform the action -- i.e., the
software won't let you. For example, "Users with permission
X are super users who may assign other user permissions. You
cannot delete the system's only super user."

However, in your example, you continue with a procedure for
doing what you've just said you cannot. I would change it to
something like, "Use this procedure to create simple queries
only. To create complex queries that use multiple criteria,
see XXXXX."

On the "criteria" question, I'm with you. www.m-w.com says:
"...singular criteria is not uncommon in edited prose, and
its use both in speech and writing seems to be increasing.
Only time will tell whether it will reach the unquestioned
acceptability of agenda. "

HTH!
-Sue Gallagher

> From: "John Posada" <JPosada -at- isogon -dot- com>

> Regarding this criterion/criteria issue. I'm going to get lots of flack
> on this, but even though I know the difference, I'll probably stay with
> criteria because criterion, in today's environment, "sounds" wrong. I
> think the majority of typical readers (those on this list are not
> typical) don't know the difference and using criterion is distracting.
>
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=criteria
> "Usage Note: Like the analogous etymological plurals agenda and data,
> criteria is widely used as a singular form. Unlike them, however, it is
> not yet acceptable in that use."
>
> I believe it is gaining acceptance. I've put on my Nomex, so flame away
> :-)

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com