What does $3 a page mean to you?

Subject: What does $3 a page mean to you?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:13:42 -0400

Does it mean $3 per manuscript page that you edit?

Does it mean $3 per final book page?

The publisher for whom I just edited a book quoted "$3 a page" as the
rate, and I assumed it was per manuscript page. Now that I'm getting
ready to submit my invoice I'm told to "Please take the total
manuscript pages and multiply by .75 to get the
book pages."

I've written to the publisher:

"I seem to be confused. I was under the impression from a statement in
your 3-5-04 e-mail (and perhaps also from the ad on the Boston
Bookbuilder's site) that you paid $3 per page. Nothing was said at the
time about the "page" being a final book page. When a copyeditor hears
a rate, she usually assumes that a page is a manuscript page. Did I
miss something? Was I told this and I just don't remember?"

My second paragarph was this:

"Also, I would love to get feedback and to know if you will have
further work for me. As you know, I am local, so I could even come out
there and visit with you all sometime."

-------------
NOTE: This is the publisher that pays in 90-120 days that I took a
chance on. There were things on the job that bothered me, such as
errors in the tagging list they wanted me to use, unclear
communications by e-mail, ignoring of my questions about requirements,
and inappropriate insulting of the authors to me in e-mail, but this
is stealing almost $600 dollars from me.

At the rate I was originally quoted, the job would have been worth
$2350 or thereabouts. Now it's more like $1750. Maybe if I went to
small claims court myself instead of hiring a lawyer. I need to find
out whether terms stated in an e-mail amount to a contract. I'll file
suit as soon as I hear whether they're really going to cheat me or
not. I assume I will get an answer to my e-mail.

What do you all think?

Bonnie Granat
www.granatedit.com

Thoughts?

Bonnie Granat
www.granatedit.com

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com