Re: The role of tech writers when working with business/systems analysts

Subject: Re: The role of tech writers when working with business/systems analysts
From: "Ed Wurster" <eawurster -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:45:51 -0400

> What is the relationship of tech writers to business or systems analysts
in
> your organization? I'm working with a client that uses all three, and it
> seems like technical writers could do many of the same tasks that analysts
> do. Recently, someone in the organization who was searching for an analyst
> said that there was no such thing as an analyst anymore; that technical
> writers with specialized skills fulfilled these roles now. I found that
> interesting because many of the systems analysts that I have known
> preferred to do programming, not documentation.
> Thanks!

I have an interview coming up, for an analyst position. On a tip, I sent my
resume to a company that listed a dozen or so upcoming positions. None
looked like traditional tech writing roles to me. I sent my information, and
mentioned that I could help with formalizing things.

In the initial conversation, the person mentioned that at least one of the
analysts must be experienced with documenting procedures, and function as a
mentor.

As for your comments, what are the specialized skills your client mentions?

Ed Wurster

http://www.eWurster.com/blog/
Consulting, Programming and Maintenance
for Computer Systems and Networks
Training, Technical Writing and Web Design

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com