Mac browser problem ("404: page not found"): summary

Subject: Mac browser problem ("404: page not found"): summary
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 14:55:04 -0400

Earlier today, I wrote to report an erratic problem I've been having with Safari and Internet Explorer running under OS-X. In this problem, pages sometimes refuse to display ("page not found"), even though they display just fine in my client's Windows browser.

I received many suggestions, including (most embarrassingly for the one URL I'd archived to serve as an example) the simple problem that the .html at the end of the URL had been incorrectly copied as .htm by my client. Should have thought of that one! <blush> That particular glitch may have been the problem with other URLs too, none of which I kept copies of for further testing. Should the problem arise again, I'll also try out the following suggestions to see if they solve the problem:

- If you're confident the URL is basically correct, try changing the .html extension to an .htm extension, or vice versa, just in case the terminal letter got truncated or added by mistake.

- Some Web pages contain content that is only readable with ActiveX, Java, or both enabled. The page may simply not be found because the code required to find and open it won't run, and you won't get any indication that this is the source of the problem. I've disabled both because ActiveX is a notorious security hole and Java's security has been questioned by people I respect (including one who works for Sun and who shall remain nameless). As the pages I was visiting were "trusted", I enabled both ActiveX and Java, quit and restarted the brower, and tried again. This solved the problem. (Thanks, Kat!)

- Windows filenames are case-insensitive, unlike UNIX, so it's worth checking any URL that ends in .html (most common on Unix systems) to confirm that the capitalization is correct. URLs ending in .htm are most often (not always) generated from Windows systems, where case is unimportant. There may be Mac vs PC differences in the way that a browser such as Internet Explorer handles this difference.

- When creating your own Web pages, be aware that capitalization differences such as these may bedevil you or your users. To be safe, pick a simple standard such as "all names entirely in lowercase" that works for everyone.

- Internet Explorer in general, and running under Windows in particular, is notorious for its lackadaisical support of WWW standards. Filenames that work fine under Windows versions of IE may thus break under other operating systems or in other browsers.

Thanks to David Brown, Peter Harkins, Gene Kim-Eng, and Kat Nagel for helpful advice. If you wrote to me and aren't included in this list, please try again; your mail never arrived, for which I apologize.

--Geoff Hart ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca

ROBOHELP X5 - ALL NEW VERSION. Now with Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more!
PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th! Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com