Re: Great piece on marketing collateral

Subject: Re: Great piece on marketing collateral
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 11:10:22 -0700 (PDT)

One more time, please:

The *users* are rarely enough the *buyers* of the product.

In fact, it's quite common for users to get a computer with the software already loaded and never *see* a proper manual at all. Even if the manual did once exist (which, given the Microsofts of the world is not today a "given"), in many cases it didn't make it beyond the IT areas...or was misplaced by the employee who used it three employees ago.

As for "getting users to actually use the documentation"--that is precisely the part of the documentation job that *is* marcom! We need to "sell" each user on solving his own problems with the product by consulting the documentation; upon learning the proper methods of operating it to attain maximum use; and on being, in effect, the "go-to" person in the office when others (who likely *don't* read documentation) have questions. Each instance of tech support that needs not be given is a definite win for the vendor.

I have tried to dispell the notion that "marcom" should be full of insubstantiated claims--in technical products, it definitely should not--but to encourage the view that the needs for any given user to become truly interested in learning the tool well are just as valid as knowing what to do in a given situation to accomplish a particular task. The more inviting and useful we make the documentation, the less resistance they will have to seeking help there.

Of course, few tech docs today seem to be well indexed--so finding pertinent help is a great challenge in many manuals. Online help can be just as bad...my own frustration with most of it has been to spend considerable time in finding the topic, only to discover that the online help system confidently *says* the program will do what I've been searching for, but rarely gives actual instructions on *how* to do it. When I find a product with a help system that is actually usable, it quickly "sells" me on going back when I have a question much earlier in the process. That, too, can be considered "marcom" in the tech writing context.

David

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com