RE: Re: Great piece on marketing collateral

Subject: RE: Re: Great piece on marketing collateral
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 15:20:25 -0400

The very next message (from David nealy) obliquely
mentioned why we've gone from paper docs to online help.

In olden times, every user of a piece of software
got the boxed set of books and diskettes (remember
diskettes?).

The trend toward online help began shortly after
the introduction of site/seat licensing, with
the associated "we'll sell you as many copies of
the manual as you want, but they'll cost you almost
as much as the software..." Companies started to
do a lot of photocopying of relevant manual sections,
purchasing of third-party training courses, and
demanding of more usable software.

/kevin

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com