arrogance

Subject: arrogance
From: "Wright, Lynne" <lwright -at- positron911 -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 12:41:32 -0400

There's no harm in feeling good about something you've done, as long as you
remember that there are probably other people out there who could do the job
as well, or better. That way, you will always be open to improving yourself
by learning from others and being able to accept constructive feedback on
your work. And yeah... often, nobody else will pat you on the back for a job
particularly well done, so you might as well do it yourself.

I'm sure some people I've worked with consider me as arrogant, but I can't
help it if I happen to have worked hard and have achieved a higher level of
skills and experience than they have, and they choose to resent me for it.
When I edit, I take care to always emphasize that I'm trying to provide
constructive criticism that will help improve THEIR skills and
documentation. And I am careful to try to be friendly and nice and show that
I am considerate of their feelings. But there will always be people who will
feel threatened by any criticism of their work... that's just a lack of
maturity.

Regarding arrogance in OTHER people... I can deal with somebody who is
arrogant, but who is really good at what they do... I can still respect
them. What I CAN't abide are people who are EXTREMELY arrogant, but largely
incompetent. Because they are not capable of improving, because their
arrogance blinds them to their own shortcomings.

Lynne Wright
Technical Communications
Positron Inc.

>From a single set of Word documents, create quality printed documentation,
HTML Help, cross-platform HTML, WinHelp and JavaHelp, with ComponentOne's
DoctoHelp 7 Professional, http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com