RE: arrogance

Subject: RE: arrogance
From: David Demyan <ddemyan -at- coppercom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 10:33:51 -0400

The other day, I was trying to describe to management what is unique
about hiring and managing technical writers, as compared to, say,
engineers or analysts. It wasn't easy to get across without sounding
arrogant myself.

What I told them is that technical writers are a breed apart. They like
to think their work is creative, even while they fear it is horribly
mundane. They like to think their words make a difference in the
success of the enterprise, even while their jobs are the first to go
when the bottom line falls. They take intense pride in their work
and sometimes resent interference. Writers like to think they know
how to manage their own projects without micro-management. While they
don't mind interacting with others on the team to gain the information
they need, they don't like these other team members telling them how
to use the information.

With many years' experience under my belt, I have come to think of these
as central characteristics of writers, including myself. To some on
the *outside,* this may come across as arrogance.

Dave Demyan

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com