RE: Question about contracting? (take II)

Subject: RE: Question about contracting? (take II)
From: "Diane Evans" <diane_evans -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 10:56:01 -0700

I just was wondering...Felice, are you in the United States? If so, your clause to have to pay for quitting a job may be illegal. You might want to check with an attorney.

I certainly would never sign a contract that even hinted I would have to pay money to the recruiter if the job went sour. But then, that's just me.

I had a job two years ago that went bad very quickly -- for reasons that had nothing to do with my skills or misrepresentations at the job interview. I knew that if I quit, I wouldn't get unemployment without a battle (proving that I was working in a woman-hostile environment), so I just did the minimum work required until the woman-hostile manager laid me off. I had contacted my contract agency a month before the layoff happened and documented what was going on. Two months later, I landed my current dream job.

It is up to you what to do, but you need to make a decision rather than "fence sitting" until disaster hits.

Diane Evans
Technical Writer

Washington State Coordinator, Tombstone Project
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cemetery/washing.html

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com