RE: Evaluation of Arbortext and XMLSpy

Subject: RE: Evaluation of Arbortext and XMLSpy
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 13:20:06 -0400

"technicoid" <technicoid -at- cableone -dot- net> wrote on 05/10/2004 12:22:38 PM:
> No doubt the FDK can be used to this end.

Ah yes. The wonderful choice of whether to spend six figures on software
and training or to spend six figures on in-house development. ;)
I think the discussion about Documentum is a little above the intent of
the initial inquiry.
I would hazard the guess that the perceived requirement for additional
tools may indeed be due to not understanding the powers and possibilities
that are present in the current workflow. It may even be that it's because
someone in the loop has believed the marketing wonk or Alpha programmer
priest that an XML workflow has to be pure or it's unworthy.
But, if there are requirements that FrameMaker can't handle I'd lean
towards XMLSpy. Just seems to me that they're more towards supporting web
and XML workflows and less about trying to sell you their training,
support, and solutions. Perhaps that's only because I was subjected to an
Arbortext sales pitch. But, XMLSpy has FREE tools to edit XML (Authentic)
whereas with Arbortext you have to pay for the tool and pay annual
maintenance fees.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed