Re: Re: Single Spacing, Double Spacing, and Doing It Ones Own Way

Subject: Re: Re: Single Spacing, Double Spacing, and Doing It Ones Own Way
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 11:50:56 -0600

I respect you very much, and historically have learned a lot from your
posts. But I disagree with you at a core level on this issue.

It is my belief that the workplace has changed (and continues to do so).
Largely due to the Internet, but also due to the increased speed at which
business is done these days, I really feel that most successful businesses
are tending to not sweat the small stuff as much as they once did. I work
closely with top executives in my company, and am also working on my MBA -
everything I've learned and/or observed so far - both at school and in the
real world - supports this. Rather than perfection, business today seems
to rely on communication that is GOOD ENOUGH.

I do NOT claim that this trend is good. But I'm saying it exists, and is
the prevalent mindset.

Perhaps your experience differs greatly from mine. But based on what I'm
observing, there really ISN'T time to worry about this stuff, because it's
just not important enough in the big picture.

Again, I am NOT talking about writers who publish books that have a long
shelflife. I'm not talking about the publishing industry. I'm talking
abouttech writers who generate documents that essentially expire within a
year or less, when new releases render previous ones obsolete. In my case,
I generate single-use sales proposals that do not live on in history. In
that world, this stuff doesn't matter. Or, should I say, there are tons of
things that matter far more.

Respectfully,

Keith Cronin

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed