Re: What's the best color printing process

Subject: Re: What's the best color printing process
From: Al Geist <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 23:24:59 -0600

John Posada wrote:

We've outgrown our color printer and I've been asked to look at and make
suggestions for a group 2400dpi X 2400dpi departmental CMYK color
printer for doing small runs of brochures, CD jewel cases, trade show
flyers, proposals, etc. It will have a 20k to 40k monthly duty cycle. It
will handle large enough stock to include crop marks.

My question is, what color transfer process should I be looking for?
Also, do I include pantone capability at the printer level or is that
only specified at the graphic software end?

We (the Lectrosonics marketing staff) use an Epson 2400x2400 dpi inkjet printer that can print up to 18x24 inches; although most of our output is standard letter and tabloid size. The high resolution is great for delivering proofs to our printers and for creating one-of-a-kind displays for our vendors and for some of the trade shows we regularly attend. The output is great because it gives us a lot of flexibility. The ink is also UV and water resistant.

I use the same type of printer in my home art oriented business with excellent results. The output rivals the best photograph and has better image retention than standard R-prints-75 years versus 50 years. (I've had my own full-color darkroom for over 20 years and been a photographer for over 30. Since the advent of high quality color ink jet printers, UV resistive inks and Kodak Ultima papers, I have not mixed one drop of color chemicals...give me a scanner, Photoshop and a good ink jet printer instead.) A majority of the work I do at my "regular" job and in my home business is CYMK color and I have no problem matching Pantone colors. The key to color matching is to ensure your scanner, monitor and printer are color corrected. This takes a little work, but the results are well worth the effort.

I'm sure everyone has their opinion, but I would check out either the Epson 2200, or the new 4000 series. Both offer photographic image quality and they can be easily dropped down to 300 dpi or lower for placement proofs. They can handle card stock as easily as 20 pound bond, and supplies are readily available. One drawback is speed. They aren't as fast as some color laser printers, but I have never found speed to be a problem. Those jobs that require speed are usually proofed and sent to a local printer.

--

Al Geist, Geist Associates
From Concept to Completion

Cell: 505-400-4128
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com <mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>

"When the situation is absolutely hopeless, you have nothing to worry about."
Compliments of The Monkey Wrench Gang

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com