RE: Why WYSIWYG for XML???

Subject: RE: Why WYSIWYG for XML???
From: <Daniel_Hall -at- trendmicro -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 May 2004 07:46:04 -0700

I'd posit that it's because as writers and readers we're trained to use visual cues to help differentiate between types of content.

For instance, my current docs (tend to) have a particular style that's used to introduce the step-by-step directions for each discreet task. For instance,
<b>To gronk the widget:</b>
1. Open the gronk controls.
2. Configure the gronk level
3. Click "Gronk"...

This bolding of the introductory phrase is used throughout all the docs here (leaving aside whether this is a good idea or not :-> ). When I'm looking at a document, I can easily tell if this is correctly "semantically marked" by taking a quick run-through and checking the formatting. If I'm using a tool where this type of marking is not easily visible, then you've slowed me down, because I've reached a point where I can look at a page and quickly tell if these sections are correctly marked - in fact, the incorrect ones tend to jump off the page at me.

There's a reason that headings are formatted differently than body text, and it's not just because they add pretty white space to the pages. :o) Readers use the visual differences in formatting to determine which are the relevant parts when they are flipping through a doc looking for information. Writers do the same thing when writing or editing.

Asking me to parse the tags of an XML doc is like me to proof the text of an html doc by looking at the code - possible, but not convenient.

I'm not arguing for or against XML or any particular tools, or even trying to say that this reliance on visual cues is correct or not - just pointing out why (IMO) there's a desire to maintain differences in formatting for different "types" of content.

Dan