Re: Not permitted to be productive at home

Subject: Re: Not permitted to be productive at home
From: "Mike Stockman" <mstockman -at- mac -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 11:16:53 -0400 (EDT)

My current gig is very telecommuting-friendly, and in fact I have
regular work-at-home days. The advantage to me (especially as gas prices
go up) is avoiding the commute. I've never understood the
fewer-interruptions argument, since people are just as likely to call or
send me instant messages when I'm at home as when I'm in my cubicle.
Interruptions go with the job, and telecommuting isn't meant to avoid
any aspect of the job (for me), even the less-pleasant ones.

In the past, I have encountered resistance to telecommuting, and one job
had a flat-out policy against it. All of those cases were at very
poorly-managed companies or departments (and in at least one case they
folded shortly after I left).

I'm not willing to make the blanket statement that only very bad
managers are unwilling to manage remotely, but so far in my experience,
there's a strong correlation.

One suggestion I have is to propose an experiment to your management,
with lots of safeguards (daily status reports, as stupid as that sounds)
for working at home one or two days a week for two months. If that works
and you can get a positive grade from your boss, you might be able to
extend it, or make it a permanent option for those days you need to be
near the facilities.

Good luck...

Mike

--
AOL: mstockman -at- aol -dot- com AOL Instant Messenger: MStockman
ICQ: 19165236

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com