Notation for XML nested tags?

Subject: Notation for XML nested tags?
From: "Stevenson, Rebecca" <Rebecca -dot- Stevenson -at- workscape -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 May 2004 15:55:51 -0400

Greetings to the techwr-l hive mind, and as usual a plea for help. :-)

I am documenting a mess of XML stuff right now for an audience that is not necessarily savvy in the topic. Something I was thinking of doing was trying to capture in the text the relationship between nested tags. If tag foo is always used inside tag bar, when I refer to tag foo I wanted to mention bar so my users keep the relationship in mind as they make their changes to the file.

1) Is this a dumb idea?
2) Is there a standard way of noting these relationships as there is for code? foo.bar, or something?

I haven't been able to find anything, which leads me to wonder if the answer to 1 is "yes" and no one has seen a need for it.

Your thoughts are humbly solicited.

Rebecca Stevenson
We can do this.
Technical Writer
Workscape, Inc.
> 508-861-3059
AIM: RJSWriter

may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL. If you
immediately.

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com