Re: Documenting installers?

Subject: Re: Documenting installers?
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 12:19:41 -0400

John Posada wrote:
> Bonnie...not to be a stickler and I'm not looking to ding your work
> (god knows I might not stand up to examination), but this is the
type
> of issue I believe we should strive to avoid.

That text is part of guidelines for configuring Windows NT Server.
Artisoft determined that the text was suitable for the audience for
this manual. The audience for this manual is network administrators or
others who have understanding of the issues involved.

> "...installed on the Server, you can choose
> Yes or No for DHCP depending on how
> your network is configured."
>
> "Deselect the IPX/SPX checkbox unless
> your network needs it."
>
> At this point, I might be wondering "How IS my network configured or
> how do I know if I need it?"

You wouldn't be reading this manual if you didn't know what was
necessary for installing software of this type and your network
requirements.

> I once referred to personas. At my last job, I created one called
> "Igor". Igor was a third-shift NOC operator who's been on the job
for
> one week and needs to be walked though the process of fixing a
network
> outage. These are the issues that might stump him.
>
> OTOH, you might not be writing for him.

Exactly. The content of this manual indicates the audience for which
it is suitable.

Bonnie Granat
www.granatedit.com

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed