Re: Current fair market rates?

Subject: Re: Current fair market rates?
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 20:58:32 -0700

Boy, that's a tough one. These days, it's not so much a question of
what rate is "fair," as it is what I can get the company to pay. In most
cases, there's a set amount budgeted and a deadline, and whether we're
talking to a writer, illustrator or editor it's on a "quote per project"
basis rather than per hour. And frankly, I'll push a lot harder for more
budget for someone I've worked with before and have a high level of
confidence in. If I were to take a stab at what I've actually paid for
editing contractors in the past year or two, I'd say the range is
anywhere from $40/hr up to $80/hr. So the question is, how badly
do you need someone who's really fast and really good, and how
much can you afford to pay?

Gene Kim-Eng