RE: Semantic markup for tabular data

Subject: RE: Semantic markup for tabular data
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 11:20:52 -0400

Bill Lawrence suggested:

> Most XML editors I've encountered either leave you to fend
> for yourself
> with the table tagging (which I must confess is a little more
> than I can
> handle for complex tables) or they provide a table editor. The table
> editor may be a semi-WYSIWYG environment or simply an editor that
> maintains a visual relationship of rows, columns, and cells. I find
> that I need some sort of table editor for complex tables. Within
> Docbook, each row, column, and cell is an XML tag itself, with
> formatting attributes that I can set if I need to actually
> specify some
> sort of dimension. Normally I don't set actual dimensions, instead I
> set a percentage width for some columns and allow the
> publishing scripts
> to figuring out the appropriate formatting for the output medium I've
> selected.

> The nice thing about this approach is that I don't have to tweak table
> formatting much, I simply let the formatter do its job. If
> the results
> aren't good (and yes, I do check every table) then I'll step
> in and set
> widths.

> I can conditionalize rows, columns, cells, and text tags within cells,
> so I have some fairly complex tables that generate different
> formatting
> and contents depending on the audience.

But doesn't that defeat the philosophy of having the data
totally divorced from formatting? Shouldn't a table be just
ONE of the ways in which the raw XML data can be massaged
for output? If you are forcing into a table at the outset,
doesn't that constrain re-usability?

/kevin

--
The following text added by my employer, outside my control:
The information contained in this electronic mail transmission may be

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com