Re: Toggle on/off or Turns on and off

Subject: Re: Toggle on/off or Turns on and off
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 12:33:18 -0400

John,

When I was the one-and-only writer here and we were very early in the development of the product, I established authority over what was exposed to the user through the GUI--field labels, buttons, error messages. I had one of the programmers knock out a script that extracted every line of source code containing screen text of any type and printed a document for each source code file. I then redlined the printouts and handed them back to the developers.

When we expanded to the point that we now have a department responsible for user documentation and I spend my time elsewhere, the methodology changed, but the responsibility remains the same. The doc team works with the design team to edit all screen messages at the design spec stage and has the authority to change them at the implementation and QA stages, too.

So I don't know how unusual it is, but we've always done it that way here.

Dick

John Posada wrote:

One of the tasks of my department is to make suggestions for button,
fields, and screen names, labels, colors, and wordings and while the
suggestions aren't followed blindly, product engineering has to justify
why they aren't going to accept any of the suggestions. Yesterday I
submitted a 12 page document to the application product manager with
suggested changes to about 30 screens, dialogs, button names, and
message displays.

I already mentioned yesterday that we are to come up with the design of
the new buttons in the application. We also provide the wording for any
text blocks in windows and dialogs.

Granted, this responsibility is relatively new to me as most of my
career has been for internal documentation, but to me, this seems
natural. It leads to a more coherent look-and-feel between the
application and its documentation.

---
[This E-mail scanned for viruses at mail.fiam.net]

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo