Re: Frame vs. Word

Subject: Re: Frame vs. Word
From: "Suzette Leeming" <suzette -dot- leeming -at- sympatico -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:22:57 -0400

Dan Goldstein wrote:

Unless Suzette tells us "why on earth" her company is considering Word,
we can only guess.

I am a sole technical writer for my company, and the only one who knows
FrameMaker. I am just returning to work from being off (quite a while) on
disability. During my absence, they had someone do some documentation in
Word. So, they are worried about what will happen if I leave again.

My suggestion to them is to train someone to be my backup. FrameMaker is not
that hard to learn, and I have the Classroom in a Book, so someone could go
through it in their spare time. Our user guides can range from 80 pages to
700 pages. We use conditional text, toc, index, bookmarks, cross-references,
book features, etc. Our documentation is presented to internal users in PDF
format on our corporate intranet.

The documentation that was done during my absence consists of several
"stand-alone" chapters, with no index, toc, or anything like that. The
chapters are converted to pdf and then manually assembled into the user
guide.

I just thought I'd clarify that.

BTW, I appreciate the time some of you took to respond. Even though there
doesn't seem to be an updated comparison chart, I will pass along some of
the comments (anonymously of course) I've received (pros and cons) to my
manager.

Suzette Leeming
Technical Writer
Telecommuting from Keswick, Ontario