Reality check – Web presences and brochures

Subject: Reality check – Web presences and brochures
From: "Tronajc" <tronajc -at- juno -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 12:33:52 GMT

Reality check ? Web presences and brochures

I have some questions regards the above. What do you think are the five (5) most important elements to include ? Reason for asking is that since being laid off I have been investigating the contracting / consulting markets and have found the field to be highly competitive (What was I thinking ? outsourcing, layoffs and competition form others already in the field).

Friday I was contacted for a contract position meeting Monday, which is great, but what was surprising to me was the questions:
1 Do I have a web site ? No
2 Do I have online samples ? Yes
3 Could I bring in my brochure ? Yes (better create one quickly)
4 Could I bring in samples ? Yes

I realise that we need to promote ourselves in every way but was not aware that it had become a necessity to have a web site. Yes, I could create a web prescience on a 3rd parties site but it would be a rushed and not the best way to advertise my services.

So to end, what are your thoughts and advise what is important and needs to be included in my brochure and later web site. Any insights.

(Yes - I have viewed many of my competitors sites and brochures and each is different ? thus there will be no one fits all answer * Yes - I have read / reviewed many of the usability studies of what makes a web site successful ? it boils down to what works in the ?field?).

Web site
1Name
2Short Bio
3Why I am better that my competitor
4Products list ? Doc, tutorials, guides etc
5Contact Me info

Brochures
1Detailed Bio
2Products list ? Doc, tutorials, guides etc.
3Tools ? Ms Office / RoboHelp etc,
4Subject expertise in IT, Manufacturing?
5Why choose me
6Contact Me info

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed