Re: Side note to "Ethics of job-interview testing"

Subject: Re: Side note to "Ethics of job-interview testing"
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 01 Jun 2004 19:40:03 -0400

John Posada wrote:

BTW...I respond to the "5 year" question seriously. Someone might say "I
want to progress into project management" or something similar, so that
maybe the interviewer knows that tech writing is just a stop until
something better can be found.

WISDOM ALERT! WISDOM ALERT!

All you youngsters out there who have been reading books on interviewing techniques and haven't been around as long as John and I have, listen up. The hypothetical John posits above is EXACTLY what most of you are doing now, isn't it? Even though you have to lie through your teeth to say it. (There are many people here, of course, who could say it honestly, because their ambition _is_ to go into management. I'm not addressing this to them.)

I, OTOH, use it to explain that I'm doing
exactly what I want...I just want to do it better and better.

YES! We (many of us, if we are going to be true to ourselves) are craftspeople. We don't want to boss other people around, or spend our days analyzing spreadsheets and Microsoft Project workplans. We want to write better and better technical documents, learn more and more about technology, and be more productive as craftspeople, getting our just rewards for our contributions to the projects we work on.

Of course finding the companies and managers who appreciate our efforts and will provide those rewards is a major challenge; and if we end up compromising by doing work we dislike in order to make more money, well, that's often the way the world works. My point is just "Know thyself"; realize that there is more than one possible answer when someone asks you what you want to be doing in five years.

Dick

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com