RE: What to use: Buttons, Function Keys, or Both?

Subject: RE: What to use: Buttons, Function Keys, or Both?
From: "Jones, Donna" <DJones -at- zebra -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 11:04:32 -0500

I vaguely remember this or a similar topic being discussed a month or two
ago. People agreed that knowing how the function keys work is a good thing
(what good are they if they're not documented somewhere?). I could be wrong,
but I think the consensus was to put the function keys in their own help
page or appendix or to put them into a separate column of a table if you use
headings like this:

BUTTON DESCRIPTION/ACTION FUNCTION KEY

This is much less clunky than trying to include both the button and the
function key in an instruction ("To exit, click OK or press F1.").