Re: waking up to the world of Technical Writing

Subject: Re: waking up to the world of Technical Writing
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:42:43 -0700

> ...Consider the case of a reader who
> sits down to read a novel. The text of the novel is central to the user's
> experience. It's the thing they came for. It is the job of the novel to
> grabt he reader's attention and hold it. Contrast this with the worker
> who pulls out an instruction manual. The manual is not central to the
> user's experience. His task is. The job of the manual is to tell him what
> he needs to know and get him back to his task. The novel is central and
> should bedesigned to be central. The manual is peripheral and should be
> designed to be peripheral.

I agreed with much of what you said (including the fact that we differ in our definition of "user experience"); but then you seemed to return to your earlier assertion that tech writers only produce manuals.

My point is that tech writers--the lucky ones, in my opinion--can enhance the reader's experience of that novel by helping select the fonts, line length and spacing, page dimensions, binding, and so on.

I'd call that UI design.

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo

From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com