Re: E-mail disclaimers

Subject: Re: E-mail disclaimers
From: Chuck Martin <cm -at- writeforyou -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:32:15 -0700

Daniel_Hall -at- trendmicro -dot- com wrote:

OK, somewhat off topic, but it appears that my employer is now adding a bit of text to the tail end of outgoing messages.

Anyone had any luck getting their hands on this text to edit it?

I especially love the paradox here: "...you are not permitted to use or disclose any information contained in the email" and "...we request you notify the sender..."

Ummm - wouldn't telling the sender be a "use" of the information in the email (information about who the message came from and that the message contained a disclaimer). Doh!

Dan

If you use a newsreader, point it to lists.raycomm.com, subscribe to the TECHWR-L there, and post to that newsgroup (rather than sending email to the list address), you won't have this issue.

Unless you are a deity in your company--rare for a technical writer--there is almost no way that you can convince management that the lawyers are wrong. After all, they're lawyers. You can point out inconsistancies, claim that customers see it as silly and insipid, document the added load to mail servers, and the lawyers will still dig up some case law to justify their position. It's all about lawsuit paranoia--especially in California.

I saw an article yesterday that some doctor in the AMA proposed a change in the medical ethics rules, to not treat plaintiff lawyers unless there is an emergency situation. The proposal was soundly rejected and the physician who proposed it claimed that he just wanted to make a point. Such is the ongoing perception of attorneys.

Chuck Martin
User Assistance & Experience Engineer
twriter "at" sonic "dot" net www.writeforyou.com

"I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.
The day may come when the courage of Men fail, when we forsake our
friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day!
This day, we fight!"
- Aragorn

"All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you."
- Gandalf

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com