RE: ADD/ADHD Problems and Tech Writing/Editing Careers

Subject: RE: ADD/ADHD Problems and Tech Writing/Editing Careers
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 11:25:21 -0400

At 11:01 AM -0400 2004/06/16, rrinehart -at- smithdata -dot- net wrote:

Thank god for headphones, but they can be a distraction. I need earplugs.

I feel your pain <G>.

Back in the late 90s, I worked as part of a small team on a project for a manufacturing organization. The 'offices' we were assigned were open cubicles (3 useless 5-foot walls around each desk) in one end of a huge 2-story-high warehouse room. Corrugated metal walls and roof, concrete floor, high ceilings that encouraged infinite propagation of echoes, guys with maxed-out boom boxes running the fork-lift trucks into open metal warehouse shelving at one end of the barn of a room, and major construction going at the other: jackhammers busting up the concrete floor, cement mixers preparing new floors, welders repairing and extending the metal walls. We communicated with each other and the SMEs in nearby cubes using email and instant messages. Every couple of hours we'd take a break, walk to the next building, do a remote check for voicemail messages and return calls before returning to our cubes.

One of the other writers had a relative who worked at the airport. He got us several sets of those massive ear protector headsets worn by the guys who stand out on runways directing jet traffic. Those, worn over high-decibel-rated foam earplugs from a gun store, did a pretty good job of protecting our hearing and our sanity.

--
K@
Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting

585.820.4045
katnagel -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com

.

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com