RE: Serif for Power Point

Subject: RE: Serif for Power Point
From: oudeis <oudeis -at- tampabay -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:09:18 -0400

At 02:32 PM 6/25/2004, Mike Bradley wrote:

> The marketing
> department at my company is claiming that there are
> different standards for
> technical and marketing presentations.

I would tend to agree with your marketing dept. Sales and marketing
presentations are about image as much as anything, and if marketing's
desired image is better projected by a serif font, so be it. Image is
their job.

= Mike Bradley
www.techpubs.com

I agree. Also, I had to eat my hat a few weeks ago. I'd created a logo and redesign for his increasingly popular blog. He wanted a retro feel with a newsy, New York Times feel to the print. I explained that I usually didn't put my foot down about too many things, but given that he wanted to cram so much information into a three column layout, I strongly advised going with a very readable font. After all, his visitors are there to read, why make it harder to actually read?

Went to hunt down the references to back me up (he's an economist, so he's used to data being used to back up just about anything :). While searching for the refs, I learned that Georgia was designed specifically for Web reading and there's some research to suggest that it compares favorably to Arial, Tahoma, etc. I'll hunt it down if anyone wants, but it was posted here once sparking a month long font fondling thread. :)

Kate

in Help authoring technology, featuring Word 2003 support, Content Management, Multi-Author support, PDF and XML support and much more! http://www.macromedia.com/go/techwrldemo
COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com