Re: Victoria Manual

Subject: Re: Victoria Manual
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 2004 05:30:55 -0400

Radwa Darwish wrote:

Dear Whirlers..

I was just told that "We need a Victoria manual for the Point of Sale
system", I naively asked "What is a Victoria manual?" all I got was "it is
just a pocket size manual with the main instructions, tips and shortcuts", I
googled and looked up the techwhirl archives but I found nothing!! very few
irrelevant hits and those sample Victoria manuals I found on google where
just regular 22 to 50 pages manual written on different topics.

My boss is the technical manager and I am in charge of all help and
documentation, he is probably echoing a client request so there is no point
in asking anymore.

Needless to say, I would appreciate any guidelines, references and websites
on the issue.

Radwa,

I can't say I've ever heard that term, but I have seen several instances of what I _suspect_ they want. The key is that it's a POS system.

The examples I've seen have been at banks and at regular retail stores. Physically, these are similar to a Rolodex, with roughly four-inch square (give or take) laminated cards, physically attached to the terminal. (I've also seen small books such as you describe, but invariably there's a delay while the person looks for the book.) Each card has a procedure (no explanations, usually not even a paragraph that tells you when to use the procedure) for doing one specific task. It seems to me they are organized into groups of related procedures, but that's just my impression from watching people flip through them. There may also be an index. Operators (checkout clerks, tellers, etc.) have enough training to know what procedure they want to look up. After that, it's just a matter of pushing the right buttons.

In any case, this is basically an extension of a quick reference card, for systems where a quick reference card would have to be the size of a cubicle wall. It's definitely not a full manual.

Dick

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com