Re: Denver Contracting

Subject: Re: Denver Contracting
From: Lisa Wright <liwright -at- earthlink -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2004 11:04:18 -0700

Sue,
The Rocky Mountain Internet User's Group has a Yahoo group for job listings. You can also post your resume there.

There is only one company in town right now that I know of that manages technical writers as its primary business (I know about them third-hand and don't have their info, but you should be able to dig them up somehow). Most agencies around here contract tech writers because it comes up as part of their primary contracting business. A lot of them are also industry specific, such as finance, biomed, IT, etc.

There are some folks who have their own solo companies--I've met most of them at STC functions. I don't know if they handle subs or not.

Any regular listings I see are usually for full time gigs. Seems like you might have to do some marketing to scare up part-time stuff, if that's what you're looking for. Then again, I've never looked for that sort of thing, either.

Let's see, must-ask questions include their AP cycle (30, 60, 90, etc.). Oh, once I land the contract, I always ask if they happen to have an ergonomic keyboard hanging around--but if they don't, I bring my own! :-)

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Lisa

Sue wrote:

All,

I am thinking about trying my hand at contracting TW, editing, etc. First,
to make some extra money, and secondly to determine whether I could
eventually replace the full time gig I currently have. I've spent a great
deal of time going back through the archives on the subject, and I have some
good information, but what I would like to know now is:

1) Can anyone recommend a good agency/recruiter in the Denver area?

2) I've got a list of general questions to ask, but I'm curious to know if
anybody has suggestions for *must know* questions they ask before
considering working with an agency/recruiter, or considering taking a
contract?

3) I've seen websites that offer to help TWs and editors find companies
looking for contractors, usually for small jobs that the contractors bid on.
I'm a bit suspect because they require up-front fees for *administrative*
costs. Does anybody know of a legitimate online company doing this?

4) Any other random advice would also be appreciated :-)

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com