Re: Looking for points of view from visual learners

Subject: Re: Looking for points of view from visual learners
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 10:35:30 -0600

When it comes to computers, many not-so-technical people are scared to
death of making a mistake - I know as a rookie I was, too. That's one area
where pictures can be VERY helpful, by showing the user what they should
see on the screen when they complete each process or step you're guiding
them through.

Yes, they may know what elements are supposed to be in the report they're
creating, but it will reassure them a LOT to see an image that proves to
them that they performed the task correctly. So I say: the more images,
the merrier, particularly when you've already determined you have many
visual learners in your audience.

When I went back to school in my 30's, never having used a computer, I was
very relieved (and in hindsight, grateful) that the textbook I had for my
"into to PCs" class showed a screen capture after every STEP in each
process. As a computerphobe, I was vastly reassured by this visual
hand-holding. Had I started with a less visual book, my fear of these
machines might have won out, and I might never have become the towering
colossus of technology (LOL) I am today.

Keith Cronin
a Windows baby who still tenses up at the sight of a colon prompt

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com