Re: WebWorks vs. RoboHelp

Subject: Re: WebWorks vs. RoboHelp
From: TechComm Dood <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 11:41:14 -0400

> Yeah, thanks. I'm well aware of what RoboHelp for Framemaker is. As I
> mentioned, I have seen several demos of it. My use of the word "transfer"
> was shorthand for the process you described in many more words. I assumed
> you and I both knew what we were talking about, since we are both familiar
> with the product, and I didn't have to describe it in a paragraph of text.

Well, to be honest, I've used RHFM, WWP, Mif2Go, and other
single-source tools, and I didn't understand what you meant by
"transfer" either. It's not a word usually used in the context of
single-sourcing.

> In addition, tweaking my existing FM files to work with RHFM will be
> essential. It's not a matter of good or bad. RHFM requires certain setup in
> the FM files. My existing files obviously do not conform perfectly and would
> need to be tweaked.

I've never had to tweak FM files to work with a single-sourcing tool.
I've had to rework content so it fits a single-source model, but I've
never had to tweak files. Perhaps you should better explain what you
mean, as it's obvious there is a conflict in defining the terminology
you are using.

> I called Macromedia just this morning to confirm that RHFM was still for
> sale. In fact, that was the SOLE reason for my original email -- to point
> out that it is still for sale and the fact that it's not on Macromedia is
> (at least allegedly) just a mistake -- not to ask for advice on which
> product to purchase. Do you work for WebWorks or is there some other reason
> you're pushing it? Or do you just feel the need to berate someone this
> morning? If that's the case, glad to help.

I don't think anyone is berating anyone, except for your post above.
Had you made your intentions of your original post known earlier,
perhaps the thread would not have grown as wild as it had, and would
have been focused more to your liking.

As for WebWorks Publisher, well, it's a tool that does what it's
designed to do and does it extremely well, and has been around many
years before RoboHelp for FrameMaker was even a twinkle in eHelp's
(and now Macromedia's) eye. So there's a lot of strong loyalty for
that product. Also, RoboHelp for FrameMaker was actually designed
under guidance from a former Quadralay employee, so there's a lot to
be said about the parallels between RHFM and WWP.

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com