Re: Another FrameMaker question

Subject: Re: Another FrameMaker question
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 14:48:34 -0700

Quoting David Neeley <dbneeley -at- oddpost -dot- com>:

> I am preparing to test KOffice on a Linux system. Since KWord is based on a
> frame system and was originally inspired by Frame, I am interested to see if
> it has advantages beyond those of OpenOffice.

The basic architecture of KOffice is very interesting, in particular its use of
frames. However, its feature set is still fairly basic, and progress is slower
than I would like. I've been watching it for several years now, and I still
don't think it has the tools for complex documents such as manuals. You could
use it for memos, or even for a novel, but not much more.

Could you post your opinions to the list? I'd be interested in hearing what you
decide.

> Of course, those who aren't on Linux would not be able to use it.

There are rumors of a Windows port, but who knows if it will happen, much less
when? However, I do think that a Windows viewer is well underway.

> Regarding InDesign, Adobe is clearly folding in long document capabilities
> into its code base, with an eye toward replacing Frame entirely over time.
> When Bruce Chizen, Adobe CEO, said this in an interview that appeared on the
> Web at the time, the Frame marketing types had fits, as Frame 7 had just been
> released.

Yes, I remember. However, this is a very long term plan, and is a long way from
implementation. I suspect that most of the code would have to be rewritten,
unless Adobe settled for another hybrid monstrosity like FrameMaker+SGML.

Personally, I take the idea with a large bag of rock salt. More than one of
Adobe's major product announcements has been wonky or simply unfulfilled. I
think there's a good possibility that this one will never be done. The coding
effort would be massive, and I wonder whether Adobe would want to commit the
resources.

--
Bruce Byfield

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com