Re: 'Old fashioned' Tech Writers

Subject: Re: 'Old fashioned' Tech Writers
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 07:02:15 -0700 (PDT)

UI has become the guiding principle behind everything we're
developing. The personas we're writing and developing for are in
every hallway. The ExecVP of the company is in charge of UI. The COO
includes it in his discussions. Every week, in one way or another, we
get trained on some part. About a year ago, 20 people from the
company attended a week long seminar at OUR office conducted by
people out from Cooper and since then, about 5 other people have gone
out to SF for their training. This is just to set up the following
comment:

> Do features that 99% of the users won't use, and thus that 99.9% of
> the users will never look up, need documenting?

According to UI principles...if an application is developed according
to UI methodology, if 99.0% of the users don't use it, it isn't in
the application in the first place. That falls into something called
an edge case and you don't develop for edge cases.

=====
John Posada
Senior Technical Writer

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail