Re: what do you get out of the STC or what would you?

Subject: Re: what do you get out of the STC or what would you?
From: Linda Castellani <lindac -at- opsware -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 14:56:02 -0700

I was a senior member until I joined the Berkeley chapter, and then I stopped renewing my membership entirely, until just last month.

I started in the Orange County chapter, then switched to the LA chapter
when I moved. I was the employment manager for the chapter which was
entirely snail-mail-based because it was pre-Web and most people still
did not have e-mail.

When I moved again and joined the Berkeley chapter, I was astonished to
discover that job listings were available to everybody, member or not.
I challenged the then-president to tell me why I should renew my
membership in view of the fact that non-members got the same benefits as
members. All he could come up with was that only members could run for
office. I had no interest in running for office, and consequently did
not renew until last month.

I renewed because I found myself responsible for our company's first
translation effort, and I started looking for a SIG to join because I
had a lot of questions and nobody to ask. I paid $155 to renew, joined
the Silicon Valley Chapter - did not get my senior-level membership
reinstated - and paid an extra $5 to join the International Tech Writing
SIG.

Only it turns out that, according to the SIG manager, the SIG is
practically moribund, and the Localization and Internationalization SIG
of the Silicon Valley Chapter is now inactive due to lack of interest.

So I guess I am out-of-pocket $160 and no better off than I was before I
renewed my membership.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com