Re: opposite of 'assert' -- 'de-assert' OR 'deassert'?

Subject: Re: opposite of 'assert' -- 'de-assert' OR 'deassert'?
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 09:06:52 -0400

David Neufeld wrote:

> In these matters (such as buses vs. busses, firmware

vs. FPGA code) I hasten to www.googlewar.com to see
what the ignor... internet masses have to say.

The results for the current debate are:
"de-assert" 3,040 hits "deassert" 5,480 hits

"Deassert" wins.

Screw the chips. Dessert wins. I'll have a piece of that chocolate cake over there.

As for buses vs. busses, I wouldn't use a popular vote to decide that one. Busses has always been the plural of buss (kiss). When people use it as the plural of bus, they invariably provoke snickers among those with a slightly larger vocabulary. So even though it is popular, I would avoid it in favor of buses.

Happy Friday.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com