STC Evaluations (was Video Icon Placement)

Subject: STC Evaluations (was Video Icon Placement)
From: "Mark L. Levinson" <nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:27:32 +0200

HSC wrote:
> One last question, does anyone know what type of
> evaluations the STC competitions follow to determine
> the winners? I found their evaluation form, but I am
> unsure what categories apply to the different levels
> of winners.

Following is an explanation from the STC.

Distinguished:
Clearly superior in all areas. The entry contains no major
flaws and few, if any, minor flaws. It applies the principles
of technical communication in an outstanding way,
particularly in the way that it anticipates and fulfills the
needs of its audience.

Excellence:
Consistently meets high standards in all areas. The entry
might contain a single major flaw or a few minor flaws. The
entry clearly (if slightly imperfectly) demonstrates an
exceptional understanding of technical communication
principles.

Merit:
Consistently meets high standards in most areas. The entry
might contain a small number of major or minor flaws, but
still applies technical communication principles in a highly
proficient manner.

No award:
Contains work that is of average or less-than-average
professional quality. The entry generally has many major
and minor flaws. It shows a lack of understanding of
technical communication principles, is poorly executed, is
hard to use, or fails to meet the needs of its audience.

Major flaws and minor flaws are considered as follows:

Major flaw - Substantially hinders the user.
Examples: illogical organization; incomplete or
missing content; consistently unclear style;
no table of contents, headers, page numbers,
or index; inaccurate page numbers in table of
contents or index; procedural steps buried in text;
a consistent pattern of spelling and grammatical
errors; confusing terminology.

Minor flaw - Might cause a momentary stumble, but
doesn’t slow the user down much.
Examples: a few instances of spelling and grammatical
errors, misplaced graphics, inconsistent capitalization,
or confusing terminology.

For any entry to receive an award, it must be thorough,
accurate, useful, appropriate, and well executed. Note
that the size of an entry might affect whether a flaw is major
or minor; for example, misspelling a client’s name in a short
marketing brochure would be a major flaw.

Mark L. Levinson
Herzliya, Israel
nosnivel -at- netvision -dot- net -dot- il

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com