RE: STC Transformation -- info

Subject: RE: STC Transformation -- info
From: "D.H.White" <trlbldr -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 19:16:40 -0400

> I dropped my STC membership this year, though, because I just
> wasn't getting
> enough value from it, at least not enough to justify the
> cost. In order to
> get value from the STC, you really have to attend every local
> meeting, get
> to know people, and build up a kind of rapport with people in
> your chapter.

Well...In order to get value out of anything, you have to put some work into
it. How can you derive any value from an organization if you don't
participate?

Imagine a youth approaching his Scoutmaster:

"Gee, Mr. Scoutmaster, I think I'll drop my membership this year. I'm just
not getting enough value from it."

"John, we haven't seen you in four months."

"See what I mean, Mr. Scoutmaster!"

"Well, what is it you're missing?"

"Oh, that time I showed up, they didn't elect me Patrol Leader."

"They didn't know you."

"See? It's too political--they expect you to get to know them."

I'm an STCer. I'm involved with the local IEEE chapter (I'm a member of the
PCS, too.) I'm involved with Potomac Appalachian Trail Club. I've been a
member of World Affairs Council chapters. I've never been a member of any
group with which I didn't share some affinity, and I've worked in those
chapters. Since I worked in them, I met and got to know the others who were
also involved. I fail to see anything wrong or overly demanding in that.

If, on the other hand, we're bemoaning STC for not just giving us all we
want without us having to lift a finger, then any membership fee is too
large and much too unaffordable.

Don White
trlbldr -at- comcast -dot- net

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com