Re: STC Transformation -- info

Subject: Re: STC Transformation -- info
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 11:12:33 -0400

bounce-techwr-l-106467 -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com wrote on 07/16/2004 10:38:57 AM:

> I disagree. XML is as much a tool as PostScript, HTML, lead
> characters, ink, and other mediums are. It's just not a application,
> but it's certainly a tool (one that's leveraged by a plethora of
> applications).

I disagree too. ;)

PS, HTML, and lead characters are simply transitional formats that
communicate format and layout from one environment to another. Ink and
other mediums are simply the way in which something displayed or
presented.

In any of the above you can do little/no meaningful interpretation or
processing of the content based on the format or medium. With some very
limited exceptions all you can process them for is display or
reproduction.

SGML/XML transcends that. SGML/XML defines and organises data/information.
>From the organised and defined information/data (and metadata contained
therein) you can then leverage all processing options you could want. Some
of those processing options include display of the content.

Saying that SGML/XML is in anyway related or similar to the mediums and
formats above is like saying databases and relational database theory and
practice is simply akin to cue cards, binders, and filing cabinets.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com