Subject: TECHWR-L Premium Jobs, Events, and Announcements
From: "techwr-l owner" <techwr-l-owner -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
To: <archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2004 02:30:00 -0600

You received this message because you're a subscriber to
list members to help underwrite the costs of the list (just
as ads in a newspaper, magazine, or journal underwrite the
costs of those publications).

In this posting, look for the following ...
* ANNOUNCE: Purchase Doc-To-Help 7.2 Pro & Receive a FREE palmOne
Zire 31 (NEW)
* ANNOUNCE: Going to structure? Get training from Scriptorium in
August (NEW)
* STORY: Get Organized with SnagIt! (NEW)
* ANNOUNCE: July 2004 Rockley Report: Info. Architecture for Content
Management
* ANNOUNCE: Information Architecture for Content Management QuickStart
* FRAME TRAINING -- London, SF Bay Area, Newark, Dallas & Phoenix
* FROM WEBWORKS! Browser-Based Draft & Discussion System for Word &
Frame Authors
* Improve your Workplace Negotiation & Budget Justification Skills

and at the end you'll find the concluding administrivia with
information about these ads and how to place your own.

ANNOUNCE: Purchase Doc-To-Help 7.2 Pro & Receive a FREE palmOne Zire 31

Purchase the New Version of Doc-To-Help 7.2 Professional and Receive a
FREE palmOne Zire 31

ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 7.2 Professional enables users to easily
create Help systems for Windows and Web-based applications from one
source document. This Help authoring tool delivers improved
performance and benefits including great new features, credits toward
training courses and additional telephone support, plus a yearly
subscription service.

New Features in Doc-To-Help 7.2 Professional include hyperlink
usability; Documenter for .NET, which completely automates .NET object
model documentation and the creation of .NET application
documentation; and enhanced topic functions enabling you to add topics
to projects without rebuilding your projects. These great new
features allow you to save development time and increase productivity.
For more information on Doc-To-Help Professional, visit
www.componentone.com/techwirlnews.

Purchase the full version of Doc-To-Help Professional today for
$999.95 and receive a FREE palmOne Zire 31. For more information
about this special offer, visit www.componentone.com/specialoffers.
Current ComponentOne customers can upgrade to Doc-To-Help Professional
for $699.95. Present Doc-To-Help Professional subscribers will
receive the 7.2 releases as part of their yearly subscription via the
ComponentOne Web site. For additional information or to order, please
contact us via email at d2hsales -at- componentone -dot- com or call
1.800.858.2739 x 204.

http://www.componentone.com/redirector/webredirector.aspx?redirectcode=d2Hads403400

07/19/04-07/26/04

ANNOUNCE: Going to structure? Get training from Scriptorium in August

Want to learn structured FrameMaker 7 or improve your technical
writing skills? Sign up for a class at Scriptorium Publishing. The
accelerated pace of our classes means you get more for your training
dollar, and our small class size and knowledgeable instructors ensure
you get the individual attention you need.

In August, we're offering the following classes at our Cary, North
Carolina office:
August 10 Structured FrameMaker 7: Introduction to Authoring
August 11-12 Advanced Structured FrameMaker 7: Building EDDs
August 13 Advanced Structured FrameMaker 7: Structured Applications
August 30-1 Technical Writing 101

See our complete 2004 training schedule at
http://www.scriptorium.com/training/schedule.html.

To register, visit our online store at http://store.scriptorium.com.
Sign up 3 or more weeks in advance and get a 10% discount. Sign up
for multiple classes and get a 15% discount.

07/18/04-07/25/04

STORY: Get Organized with SnagIt!

Dan the technical writer's coworker asked him to find a screenshot she
needed. Dan quickly pulled it up for her and sent her the file.

"How do you find everything so fast?" Wendy said, clearly impressed.

Dan said happily, "I use SnagIt - the award-winning screen capture
program!"

Wendy smirked at him. "And SnagIt organizes your screenshots for you,
I suppose. Hah!"

"Practically," Dan answered.

"For instance," he said, "SnagIt makes it easy to customize your
automatic file names in just a few simple steps. From a list, you can
easily select the components you want to include as part of the file
name . like sequence number, computer name, user name, date, time and
more. Then, when you take a screenshot, SnagIt automatically gives
your file a name generated from your customized information."

"So?" she said, "Then how do you find it?"

"I save it to the Catalog Browser," he said. "The Catalog Browser
lets me manage, view, edit and publish screenshots. Everything has a
perfect file name, and I know where to find it!"

Wendy remained silent. Finally, she said, "Well. Then I have no more
reasons to be unorganized, do I?!"

Dan said reassuringly, "You can still ask me for screenshots anytime .
. . just as long as you download SnagIt first."

Get your copy of SnagIt now! Try it for free, and buy for only $39.95!
Visit:
http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/technicalwriters.asp?DCMP=BAC-Techwrl

07/16/04-07/23/04

ANNOUNCE: July 2004 Rockley Report: Info. Architecture for Content
Management

WHAT IS THE ROCKLEY REPORT?
The Rockley Report is a quarterly journal featuring interviews with
industry luminaries, real-world case studies, and business-critical
information you can use to ensure your single source content
management projects meet -- even exceed -- your expectations.

INSIDE THE CURRENT ISSUE - Information Architecture for Content Management

* Feature: Information Architecture is Just Plain Fun! An Interview
with Lou Rosenfeld
* Best Practices: Strategies for Optimum Reuse
* Case Study: It's Not about Technology-It's about Methodology:
Hewlett Packard's Lessons Learned
* Gaining Management Support: XML and DTDs: The Buy vs. Build Argument
* Information Architecture: Semantic vs. Generic Elements
* Tools and Technology: Implementation: Issues with Granularity
* People Processes and Change: Issues in Information Architecture

FREE ONLINE ACCESS TO OUR INNAUGURAL ISSUE
If you'd like to see the type of high-quality content each issue of
The Rockley Report contains, take a peek at our first issue for free.

Visit: http://rockleyreport.com/index.php/weblog/free/

SUBSCRIPTION INFORMATION
To subscribe, visit: http://rockleyreport.com/index.php/weblog/subscribe/

CONTACT US
The Rockley Group Inc., 445 Apple Creek Blvd., Suite 120, Markham, ON L3R
9X7 -
Phone: 905-415-1885 - Fax: 905-415-3413 - Email moreinfo -at- rockley -dot- com

07/14/04-07/21/04

Our new Information Architecture for Content Management QuickStart is
an intense one-day workshop designed to teach you the skills you'll
need to develop an information architecture for your content
management system. Information Architecture for Content Management is
a key component of any successful unified content (single source)
strategy. Information architecture formalizes the structure of your
content, helps you determine rules for managing reuse, and assists in
the identification of your workflow.

You will learn
* The business reasons for adopting a unified content strategy
* How to identify different types of reuse (identical, derivative,
nested, opportunistic, systematic)
* Why information architecture is critical to a successful single
source content management project
* How to design for usability (content management users and end users)

You'll learn how to create
* Content Models (Information product models, element models)
* Content and structural reuse maps
* Reuse management rules (e.g., how to handle derivative reuse
[reuse with change], how to determine what is source content
when multiple authors/editors reuse and make changes to the
same piece of content)
* Metadata (categorization, element)
* Repository structure (reusable building blocks, logical
structures for content)
* Workflow (business process automation)

Objectives
At the end of this workshop you will:
_ Understand the role of information architecture in content management
_ Understand the steps involved in the development of information
architecture for CMS
_ Be equipped with an understanding of the skills and techniques
necessary to build successful information architectures for
content management

Who should attend
* Writers
* Editors
* Publishers
* Information Architects
* Software Developers
* Business and IT Managers
* Business Analysts
* Information Technology Consultants
* Educators

Cost
Registration for this intense one-day workshop is $400.00 US per
student. Register two or more students from the same organization and
get a $50 US discount per student. Learning materials, lunch, snacks,
and a copy of our book on content management, Managing Enterprise
Content: A Unified Content Strategy, are included in the registration
fee.

* To register:
http://www.rockley.com/Workshop_IMQuickstart_Tampa.htm

07/12/04-07/19/04

FRAMEMAKER TRAINING -- London, SF Bay Area, Newark, Dallas & Phoenix
Instructor: Shlomo Perets, http://www.microtype.com/seminars.html

LONDON, UK: Single Sourcing with FrameMaker, Aug 16;
FM Template Design, Aug 17-18; FM-to-PDF Adv. Tech., Aug 19-20

REDWOOD CITY, CA (SF area): Using FrameMaker (hands-on), Oct 11-12;
Structured FrameMaker : Authoring (hands-on), Oct 13;
Structured FrameMaker : Developing EDDs (hands-on), Oct 14-15;
Technical Indexing with FrameMaker, Oct 16

NEWARK, NJ: FrameMaker Template Design, Oct 18-19;
Single Sourcing with FM, Oct 20; FM-to-PDF Adv. Tech., Oct 21-22

DALLAS, TX: FrameMaker to-PDF Advanced Techniques, Dec 2-3;
Single Sourcing with FM, Dec 1; FrameMaker Template Design, Nov 29-30;
Technical Indexing with FrameMaker, Dec 4

PHOENIX, AZ: FrameMaker Template Design, Dec 6-7;
Single Sourcing with FM, Dec 8; FM-to-PDF Adv. Tech., Dec 9-10

07/11/04-07/18/04

FROM WEBWORKS! Browser-Based Draft & Discussion System for Word & Frame
Authors

NEW FROM WEBWORKS!
Browser-Based Draft and Discussion System for MS Word And
Adobe FrameMaker Authors

WEBWORKS FINALDRAFT is the edit-and-review system content providers
have been waiting for! Generate easy-to-use, browser-based drafts
directly from your Word or FrameMaker content, and distribute them to
an unlimited number of reviewers. Engage in two-way and multi-party
discussions without a Web server. Easily manage discussions
and incorporate reviewers. feedback into your source document. True
single-source workflow, total document lifecycle management, custom
discussion status codes, and much more.

See it for yourself! For more information or to sign up for a live
online demo, visit: http://www.webworks.com/jump/techwr-l

06/09/04-12/31/05

Improve your Workplace Negotiation and Budget Justification Skills

"In my 'day job' as a technical recruiter I continually see writers
who are very well schooled in how to produce documentation, but who
never learned the art of budget justification, negotiation (up and
down the org chart), dealing with difficult people, handling poor
performers, and all the other skills needed to survive (let alone
prosper) in the current economic marketplace.

LavaCon was created to fill that need."

Jack Molisani, Executive Director
LavaCon 2004: Managing Projects in a Recovering Economy
September 27-30, 2004
New Orleans, Louisiana
www.lavacon.org

07/01/04-07/09/04

About posting ads:
Announcements on the TECHWR-L Premium Announcement posting
cost $50 to contact over 5100 TECHWR-L subscribers
directly each day for a week.

In an effort to provide a free service that allows you to post
announcements, jobs, and events, however, we have established other
services:

The TECHWR-L Calendar provides a free resource for you
to post announcements, activities, and events:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/calendar/

The TECHWR-L Employment Central provides a free resource
for you to post, browse, and search job listings and personal
profiles:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/employment/

The TECHWR-L Daily Summary Mailing, a separate mailing list
that summarizes new content posted to Employment Central and
the Calendar, can further help get your
message out to interested people:
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/daily-announce-info.html

These resources are available at no cost to anyone, posters
or seekers, TECHWR-L subscribers or not. We encourage you to
regularly use these free services.

For jobs, announcements, and events that you specifically
want to be mailed directly to all 5100+ TECHWR-L subscribers
in the TECHWR-L Premium Daily Announcement, please contact Eric
(ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com) or submit your paid ad at
http://www.raycomm.com/techwhirl/postad.html.