Winhelp file suddenly blew up! Any ideas?

Subject: Winhelp file suddenly blew up! Any ideas?
From: "Linda Cast" <lcast -at- planview -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:54:41 -0500

Hope someone can help. After many years working on help files, I've never experienced this.
I was working on another server (h:), so when the company system crashed, there is no backup on c: for the file I was working in. Yesterday's backups are on h:, and the sysadmin will restore that file. However, it's a day's work lost.
Am using Winhelp classic, Work 2000.

Am updating a 350 page, multitopic file, that was previously released. Been working on it off & on for 2 months. File has looked fine, updated well, compiled well. Have saved it periodically. After the power outage today, the file looked fine. I restarted the machine,and worked & saved it for several hours afterwards, opening & closing it occasionally.

Then reopened it to suddenly find links missing randomly throughout the whole file. Not just broken - they no longer even look like links, just text. Old links, new links, several from one page, one link from another page, and so on. Some links have the link text displayed next to them. The Tools Option to "display all" is not set.

What happened???
I've tried the troubleshooting tips in the help file. I suspect a corrupted file, but no idea what happened or how to fix. Thanks for any help.

> Linda Cast
> Customer Information Developer
> PlanView, Inc.
> 8300 N Mopac Expy #100