Re: Job Banks

Subject: Re: Job Banks
From: eric -dot- dunn -at- ca -dot- transport -dot- bombardier -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 11:18:40 -0400

Lee Hunter wrote on 07/30/2004 10:02:59 AM:
> I don't think the STC would get very far trying to make a
> profit center out of
> the job boards.

Well, if they don't try they never will. But, there's a lot of work to
build up the usefulness and image of the offering (much like everything
else at the society :) ).

> It's not like the hiring of technical writers is the
> biggest priority of an HR
> department. Monster gives them one-stop shopping for all
> their hiring -
> developers, engineers, salespeople etc.

Refer to my other reply on this topic. Quite often posts are placed in
multiple (commercial) locations.

> Monster's only business is recruiting and they do it very
> well.

But do they provide the best possible service for specific specialties? If
they do, then perhaps what the STC can offer is not a service to the
employers but a service to the recruiters. ;)

> If I ran an HR
> dept or a recruiting firm I wouldn't want the hassle of
> dealing with bills from all over the place.

Once again, companies and HR departments already deal with multiple
sources. Those that don't often deal with a single recruiter that then
deals with multiple sources. Either way, if you can provide value in a
given niche, the customers will come.

> It's also a lot easier to justify
> spending money at Monster
> or the local paper than with an organization that your
> boss has never heard of.

Well, the image problem is an issue. But, that's using the opposite
argument of many who say STC membership would be a plus on a resume. :)

Either way, there's a lot of organising and promotion that needs done by
the STC.

Eric L. Dunn
Senior Technical Writer

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com