Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 10:29:45 -0400

Folks,

One way to go would be "put up or shut up":

A commercial hosting provider could handle the administrative aspects of hosting both the list and the site and could keep it functioning when volunteer board or committee members slack off from time to time. This costs money, though. So the model I envision is that we form an organization (eventually applying for tax-exempt status but not worrying too much about that at the beginning), adopt some simple bylaws from a published template, elect officers and/or a board of directors, as required, and collect annual dues/subscription (something nominal like $20 to post--and vote; free to lurk). The electees would be unpaid, with the money going to the commercial administration/hosting company that they select. If terms of office are for one year (with no term limits) and the hosting company administers the membership list, subscription collection, and annual election logistics, we'd at least have an annual chance to replace the laggards with fresh volunteers.

I'm not suggesting that this is the only or the best solution. It's just one I'm throwing into the pot for discussion. I also haven't thought about how the Rays would recoup their investment under this model. I'll leave that to someone else to fill in.

Dick

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com