Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: David Knopf <dklists -at- knopf -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004 17:30:51 -0700

on 8/2/2004 4:31 PM written_by -at- juno -dot- com wrote:

As a former member of something like 30 Yahoo Groups using this e-mail
address and 45 or so using another address, I must say that I do not like
Yahoo Groups much. I would hate to see this list become a Yahoo Group. I
read some of the Yahoo "writing" lists and they are mostly a joke.

I would not argue that TECHWR-L should become a Yahoo group. TECHWR-L works just fine as is. But I do take exception to the statement that Yahoo groups are a joke. I am a moderator of the Help Authoring Tools & Techniques, or HATT, group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hatt), and it is most assuredly not a "joke."

Spammers arrive, hit the group and leave, so every message should be
approved.

If this happens, it is the result of incompetent moderators. We do not have any of these issues in the HATT group.

Since anyone can join them, I would think that good moderation
is required. This takes time and effort. At least when I red this list, I
am confident that very little spam will arrive because of this list.

There is *no* spam on the Yahoo groups I moderate. And while little or no spam is sent to the TECHWR-L list itself, there continues to be a harvesting problem resulting in spam being sent to individual subscribers.

Regards,

--
David Knopf ~ Knopf Online
david at knopf dot com ~ www.knopf.com

Please don't send follow-up questions to me privately.
Instead, post them to the list.

Consulting & Training for Technical Communicators
RoboHelp ~ FrameMaker ~ WebWorks ~ Structured Authoring ~ XML
WebWorks Publisher Certified ~ Adobe Certified Expert: FrameMaker
Member, JavaHelp 2.0 Expert Group
Moderator, HATT, wwp-users & Techshoret

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com