Splitting Things Up? -- The Techwri-L Transition

Subject: Splitting Things Up? -- The Techwri-L Transition
From: Steven Oppenheimer <Steven -at- OppenheimerCommunications -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 10:43:45 -0400

A quick, hopefully constructive suggestion:

Would it help matters if maintenance of the list was one entirely separate task, and maintenance of the Web site another, to be split among two entirely separate parties? That would make less work for each party involved.

Personally -- and this reflects that I'm a contractor, and find myself looking for work at intervals -- the Web site is actually more important to me than the list. The discussions here are (usually) valuable (and when not formally valuable, often interesting in other ways), but the job listings on the Web site are invaluable. If only one thing was to continue, I'd personally prefer the Web site over the list.

Perhaps others can chime in as to which they see as more essential. I would only add, as a practical matter, that if the list went away, it's just not that hard to set up other lists -- for example, Yahoo groups is so easy to use -- while maintaining a Web site is a more involved process. So, for that reason alone, I hope someone can at least support the Web site. (Perhaps the Rays would have time, still, to maintain the Web site, while the list itself could be left to others?)

Steven Oppenheimer, M.A.
Oppenheimer Communications
Technical and Business Writing: From Complexity To Clarity (SM)
Steven -at- OpComm -dot- com www.OpComm.com (301) 468-9233

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com