Re: indexing software

Subject: Re: indexing software
From: dmbrown -at- brown-inc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 09:30:15 -0700

Carr wrote:

Has anyone here ever used one of the indexing engines from this place:
http://www.virginiasystems.com/products_b.html

I have happily used their Sonar Bookends Activate product for several years. This little jewel takes an index in the back of a PDF and turns every page number into a hyperlink to the corresponding page. (It does other things, too, but that was its first purpose, and that's what I've always used it for.)

I've found the owner of Virginia Systems to be personable, accessible, and pretty responsive to my few requests for support over the years. I recommend the Activate product for anyone creating PDF documents from Word, because (unlike TOC entries) index entries aren't linked to pages in the Word source document.

That wholehearted recommendation aside, though, I would caution you to be leery of any tool that promises to make index entries for you. Machines are great at sorting, formatting, and checking link validity; but it takes a human being, preferably someone with knowledge of the subject matter and experience at indexing, to craft good, useful, consistent index entries.

See the web site of the American Society of Indexers (www.asindexing.org) for information on indexing, a list of resources (software and freelance indexers), and more.

--David

A V A I L A B L E N O W ! http://www.html-indexer.com

HTML Indexer is still the easiest way to create and maintain real indexes
for web sites, intranets, HTML Help, JavaHelp, and other HTML documents.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com