Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community

Subject: Re: ADMIN: An Open Letter to the TECHWR-L Community
From: Kat Nagel <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 14:28:29 -0400

At 9:28 AM -0500 2004/08/05, Karen Graber wrote:

I haven't been on this list very long and I'm really surprised by the
intense dislike several people have expressed for STC. Is there anyone
on this list that likes STC?

Yup. We have an excellent, active chapter here in Rochester, NY, with a local job-opp mailing list, an informative newsletter, a superb annual seminar, monthly program meetings that some members drive several hours to attend, and a whole bunch of talented, supportive colleagues. I also enjoy the Society-level conference (when I can afford to go <sigh>), and I belong to several SIGs, some more useful than others. All in all, I feel I get my money's worth.

Why such strong negative feelings about STC?

I don't know. My guess? Some people are joiners and others aren't. And many people feel that what works (or doesn't work) for them in their particular situation must --- obviously --- work (or not work) for absolutely everybody else. So, anyone who disagrees with their opinions is either deluded or evil. (Silly wabbits <grin>.)

Check out your local chapter. Check out a couple of SIGs that interest you. (Some SIGs have email lists, and not all SIGs require that you actually join the SIG to subscribe to the list.)

Then, make up your own mind.
Don't let others --- no matter how well-intentioned they are --- do it for you.

--

K@ Kat Nagel
"Some people are offence kleptomaniacs -- whenever they

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com