Top Ten Things You'd Like To Tell Engineers

Subject: Top Ten Things You'd Like To Tell Engineers
From: shankAtIndiaDotcom <ss_rajanala -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 2004 01:02:26 -0700 (PDT)

> Why would you need to tell an engineer
> something to promote better
> cooperation? What isn't known?

Yeah, there is this feeling among writers that we
must earn the respect of engineers (somehow) to
make sure they provide us inputs.

That is strange... if the key factor in the
creation and delivery of documents - namely,
information - is given us because of our charming
ways, rapport, and the respect we earn: isn't
that a risky deal? What if the engineers, despite
my understaning of the technology and willingness
to learn, just hate me for holding a literature
degree (I am of course exaggerating)?

Shouldn't there be a mechanism in place, a
mandate from the project management, that
facilitates the flow of inputs to doc teams? We
as communicators may not take recourse to quoting
these bye-laws, we use our wits; however, when
all else fails, shouldn't we have the option to
escalate matters and demand information that is
our bread and butter?

=====
Thanks and regards,
Sankara S Rajanala