RE: filesystem or file system?

Subject: RE: filesystem or file system?
From: "Johan Hiemstra" <webmaster -at- techexams -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 03:07:36 +0200

>Don't forget I don't know anything about you, including your level of
>knowledge.

I was just referring to the fact that Linux is based on Unix... etc.
etc.
As for what I do and my level of knowledge, in short: I write study
material for computer and network certifications, mainly for Cisco and
Microsoft exams, but some Linux and security related certifications
also. I hold many of these certifications myself and I spend all day
filling and spilling mindless details a normal person would look up
whenever needed. (Hey, if I'd be bragging I would have included my certs
in my signature as most people 'in my world' do.) ;)

>>> It's actually 5 (FAT12 and CDFS) but let's not
>>> get into technical details as they do not dictate spelling.

>Actually, let's. ;-)
>I have to say that I never knew that. Thanks!

You're most welcome. FAT12 is used on floppy disks and CDFS, well CD
file system. Now one could argue about DVD file systems, but let's keep
it to 5 as Windows XP supports reading 'and' writing those 5.

>>> Apart from my messed up google search,

>Funny. I just finished typing an apology in another e-mail for the same

>reason. I didn't realize that using or not using quotation marks would
>make such a difference.

There was no need to apologize, because you are correct. When you leave
out the quotes google (theoretically) returns pages with the word file
and the word system on it, not necessarily with the phrase "file
system".
The mistake I made is putting the s after the one-word version.

Nevertheless I will keep writing file systems, not to insist on being
right, just to be consistent. I might consider an exception for Linux
text though. :)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com