Writing technique (might previously have been literate minority)

Subject: Writing technique (might previously have been literate minority)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 10:38:13 -0400

(Bruce, no offence was intended. Just my obscure sense of humor
getting the better of me. Let's migrate the topic.)

What could we profitably discuss, by way of writing technique?

I wonder if there are any "cultural" differences of techique
or tone or other variable among (say) people who write for
computer-related industries, people who write for heavy industry,
people who write for consumer products, people who write business
and other procedures, etc.

By that I mean, other than the fact that we'd likely refer to
different style guides per industry, are there recognizable
traits (to do with the writing, the organization, the types
of documents, the greater or lesser dependence upon pictures
or graphics, etc.) that would stand out in each segment?

A trite example might be that the woman writing the field
manual for the D18 Caterpiller might have very little use
for html or a HATT, and might have some concern about specifying
waterproof, greaseproof paper and binding, and might need to
format a multi-language layout with lots of pictures and
exploded views of components. Whenever I give
this any thought, I wonder that we never seem to hear from
the people who write the user or service docs for heavy equipment,
ships' systems, building/environmental systems (including water
treatment, waste management, HVAC, electrical distribution,
premises security, and many more).

I mean, there are commercial and industrial buildings going
up all over the world, all the time, and those include
all kinds of systems, materials, etc., all of which are
documented in some fashion. Hell, PAINT has to be documented
fer-cryin'-out-loud. There are membranes and coatings and
insulators and soundproofing and all sorts of increasingly
high-tech building components and treatments that have
specifications and instructions for installation/application.
Does anybody on Techwr-l write this stuff? Somebody, somewhere
does. They probably use Word or FM or PageMaker to do it.
Many of them write in English...

Honeywell and several other big companies must employ lots
of people who write the manuals and other docs for HVAC
and environmental control systems. The people who install
those systems and the people who do the service for property
management companies all over the world have to get their
info from documents... who writes those?

I've only ever done tech-writing for telecomm and computer-stuff
companies, so if working life and the requirements of the job
are significantly different for people in those other areas,
I'd like to learn about them. Are those folks members of
Or is it their nature to not join a list like this?

I can't remember the last time I read a post from somebody
who talked about writing for medical devices. Over on CE-L,
there's a variety of such topics, so if those people are
editing for those other industries, this suggests that they
are editing the work of people who *write* for those other
industries. Where y'all at?

Kevin (in the computer/comms/security-related ghetto)

--
The following text added by my employer, outside my control:
The information contained in this electronic mail transmission may be

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com